Tulip Festival attempt
April 25th marked "Dutch Day" at the annual Tulip Festival down at Thanksgiving Point. I thought it'd be kinda fun to go, fully expecting to see lots of Dutch costumes and eat lots of Dutch food. Well, that morning was quite soggy, but my grandma was adamant that we still go. She always says, "We're not made of sugar - we won't melt!" So my mom and I packed up Daisy and Grandma Oma and headed down there. We were not prepared for the cold, windy rain! My mom had just had bladder surgery and couldn't push or hold anything more than ten pounds, so I got to push grandma's wheelchair. Let me tell you, she is not light. Daisy was pretty cold and miserable from the moment we got there so she spent the whole time perched on Oma's lap. Did I mention that we were all starving and ready for lunch BEFORE we left the house? If you've never been down there, it's a long, winding, somewhat hilly, walking trail through all the gardens. All the booths (all five of them) were set up at the END of the trail. There were a ton of beautiful tulips and flowers, but since it was so chilly, they were all closed up. As for all the Dutch stuff I expected to see, there was one booth with some Dutch food, (which was all covered up and 'out-of-order' because of the rain) and a bunch of other booths with other random stuff. None of which were even remotely Dutch! Oh, and the costumes? Yeah, I guess the rain deterred some people cuz they weren't there either! So we grabbed some pork sandwich thing from the only booth that served actual food (and not candy or junk) and huddled under the only covering - an awning by the restrooms - to eat. Doesn't that sound like so much fun?!? Oh, and remember I'm about 10 weeks pregnant and the time, and quite nauseous. I did manage a few pictures to document our sad soggy attempt, and yet my grandma still enjoyed every minute of it, and bragged about her day to everyone! Old people sure do forget things easily! That night, a much happier Daisy got to paint her little wooden shoes, the highlight of her day!




The ensemble I had to push around the whole time. Notice how happy Daisy is? And no, I could not see my way over that dumb umbrella, nor hold one over my poor head!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love your grandma's quote, "we're not made of sugar, we won't melt!" So funny! And CONGRATS on the pregnancy! I hope things are going well and you are feeling better soon! I am excited for you! Daisy is so cute and fun to watch grow up! She looks just like you I think.
Britt
I am so excited to hear the good news! I hope you aren't feeling too crappy. I wanted to go to the festival as well but didn't want to brave the weather with two little ones. Maybe next year.
Wow, three posts in a day! Finally!! I love her little wedgie in her swimsuit, so cute. I can't wait to put Mirabel in her suit this summer, it's adorable. It better get warm soon or else she'll get too fat for it!
Chrisy, you were an amazing trooper that day. I was so impressed with you ! ! ! ! ! Thanks for your help . ! ! ! ! Love mom
Congrats on the pregnancy!!! I had no idea, but knew that you were wanting it for quite some time...I'm glad it's here. Let me know if you need anything!
First, let me say that you are in so much trouble for coming to Thanksgiving Point without calling me! I live 3 minutes from there!:) Second, your experience sounds miserable! In it's defense, I must say that we've had some great times at the Tulip Festival, but I've never attempted it in the rain! Wow. What a bummer.
p.s. It was great to see you all for a minute at Katie's reception. We need to get together soon!
Post a Comment