To all you experienced mothers out there: I need suggestions! Daisy is quite the stubborn two-year-old. She's hooked on her binky, hates her potty, and won't go to sleep unless one of us is sitting in the doorway or holding her. I guess it's partly our fault. Back in November she was only using her binky for sleeping and was fine without it during the day. She would go down for naps and bedtime without too much fuss. Then our world went to heck, and she was thrown off. When she got croup in December, she would breathe better with her binky in because it helped her swallow and keep her mouth open, plus we felt so bad for her that we really baby-ed her and held her a lot. Then when we miscarried, we practically smothered her with attention because it helped soothe our grief. We let her stay up and watch movies with us and she'd fall asleep in our arms. Then it was her birthday and Christmas - spoilage to the max! We jumped on the potty thing as soon as she showed any interest, and only got two successes. Now it's a fight for everything; binky 24/7, no potty - but no diaper changing either, and a battle at bedtime. I don't mind waiting to potty-train, but the sleep and binky thing is really rubbing our nerves! Plus, now she has to deal with me all day instead of being spoiled with us both being home! So if you have any suggestions, no matter how minor, we'll take them!!!
Jeff's been at his job for a few days now and he is absolutely loving it! He is their Senior Graphic Designer and works with many departments, and he comes home happy and excited. Thanks again for your prayers and support!


13 comments:
Aaah the terrible twos! Gotta love it! My suggestions for the binky are to snip off the end-just a small piece and she'll realize that it doesn't work right and won't want it. If she still likes it then just gradually snip the end every few days (this worked for Zac and Hailey). For bedtime and naps, just let her cry it out. Not fun but soon she'll realize you aren't going to hold her and she'll have to go to sleep!
Glad Jeff is enjoying his job. Oh, I tagged you as well.
Hmmm...I don't think I'd be good suggesting anything. We are right there with you and the terrible two's! Little bit different situation, but same idea. Stubborn two year olds! It's a good thing they're so cute!
She's too darling! The binky's a hard one. We totally went through that! We just took it away after she fell asleep and it took a little while :) Also - the potty training thing! Our doctor said that change really affects them and you should wait until they're totally stable before training. We had Abbie all trained - and then the baby was born. She completely regressed :) Good luck! Two year olds are so sweet - but so so hard!
We did the binki snip thing with Corban and he screamed for awhile and then adjusted to it. Honestly one night I just couldn't find one anywhere and told him that it was lost. It took about 3 days of letting him cry himself to sleep and then after that he would ask for it, but not cry any more and then he finally quit asking.
When they say "tough love" it means tough on you, I swear! We got through the binki phase and just had to let him cry. The potty situation is a tough one. My pediatrician told me to start earlier on Corb because he is so stubborn. He thought it was kind of fun for a bit and would always pee, but that was it. Now he absolutely refuses and I have just decided to completely lay off for awhile. I went through the same thing with Gabby and when I picked it back up again (she was 3 months away from turning 3, by the way) she was completely potty trained in one week and has never even had an accident at night - EVER!! She basically potty trained herself when she was ready. Just don't force it! It makes it difficult on you and gives her the control over you that she is fighting for.
It is a kicking, screaming match for me to change Corban right now also, but I know it's the age and it will pass! Gabby will be 4 in April and is actually becoming fun again!! So, I know that there is hope for Corban too!
Don't be afraid to let her cry! Believe me, I have the most stubborn children in the world and they can cry for hours when I am trying to get them to sleep through the night, or get to sleep on their own in the first place!!! You think you are going to go insane, but in the end both of you will be happier that you did it.
Good luck! We all go through it - you are not alone! Even when you don't feel like a good mom because you are just dealing with a 2 year old - remember that you are a good mom and things do get easier.
Love you!
Christy- This is Holly (Adam Rudd's sister) anyway my Sydney is going thourgh the same thing. As far as the sleeping goes it rally just does have to be tough love. It will be a couple hard days but she will be just fine. When we moved into our new house our schedule and everything was all mixed up and that is what we had to do with Sydney because I could not take anymore rocking her to sleep for forty five minutes every night but it works and she is so good now about going to sleep. One thing I did with the binky is let it be her decision to get rid of it. I took Sydney's binky and put it in pickle juice. I knew it would not hurt her but would be yucky and she wouldn't want it. She kept telling me it was yucky and then finally she didn't want it. It literally took a day and I was so nervous about it but we have never looked back! Anyway I am no pro but that is what worked for us! Good Luck
Where did you get that darling picture done?
We tried the snip thing last fall, and she still wanted the nubbin. Then we had a night where she was headed to our sis-in-law and we had forgotten the binky. She sleeps better with it (even the nubbin) if she's in a strange place. So I think if we stay on top of that, it'll work. She loves pickles (both dill and sweet, and olives, salsa, ranch) so I don't think that will work. But I snipped it today and we had no problems at bedtime, so keep the suggestions coming and fingers crossed! (Jeff's the one that can't stand the crying out thing!)
Cool blog! By the way, this is Christy's cousin, Shelley. Good luck with your terrible twos. I don't have much advice. Just wait until the ferocious fours....... Ha! I might sound like a horrible mother, but with the binky and the sleeplessness, I just let the boys cry. It took a few days, but they got over it. As for potty training, I totally think you need to wait until they are ready. Each one of my boys was ready at different times. With Preston, I tried to force him too early, and we had lots of accidents. When I finally let him do it on his time, it was much better. Brigham basically potty trained himself. I guess I was just lucky on that one!
Christy, I would LOVE her number! Thanks! My email is willsonfam@gmail.com.
Hooray for the "terrific twos" as I hear people like to call them:) I actually purchased a book called "Love and Logic:Magical Parenting for birth to 6 years" It has helped A LOT! By the way..so excited you have a blog. Look us up at outnumberedx4.blogspot.com.
Good Luck!
I was just going to suggest the Love and Logic book also. It is the greatest! I used the teaching book in my classroom and then the early childhood book with Cameron. It is very simple, but very effective discipline. It is a must read!! And, I completely agree with the advice on letting her cry. In the long run everyone will be happier! I haven't done the potty training thing yet, and you may just want to wait and try again later, but I have a friend who swears by the "Dr. Phil" method? I guess you can find it on his website. I think it is a whole start to finish plan. Maybe you can give that a try.
Sorry you have been going through a tough time, but glad things are looking up! This parenting thing isn't always easy is it? Just keep doing your best! :) Keep us posted on how all the advice works out! Tiff
Christy- I have been thinking about this, which is why I have yet to respond. As you can tell by my raging two year old as well, I don't know much to help you! The ONLY thing that I can think of is to get a routine and STICK TO IT! It may be hard at first, but whenever we try and introduce something new to Lincoln, it takes him like a week or two to finally get it! So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is just a VERY small pin prick! Sorry, and good luck! Know that I am at the other end trying to clean the conditioner up off of everything that Lincoln thought needed "Lotioning" Oh, the joys!
Hello! You don't know me. I'm one of Dawn's friends here in Phoenix. She told me to read your blog because we are having similar night time problems. I have found some good ideas in a book I now love titled "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. She has a chapter just for bedtime. I have a hard time doing the cry it out method for my 2 year old. She talks a lot about routine and sticking to it. Also she explains to sit by your child and move a little closer to the door each night and eventually you can just put the child to bed and leave. I have tried the latter way with my 10 month old (who seems more spirited than my 2 year old). It helps my 2 year old when I am putting him to sleep to talk about the day and then talk about all the fun things that are planned for the next day, like going to the park. He would then lay down excited to go to the park the next day. Anyway, this book has helped. Good luck! Your never bored with a 2 year old around! Melissa
Post a Comment